Sammy Kershaw’s Lafayette, Louisiana home sustained heavy smoke damage after a fire broke out in the kitchen on Thursday. Sammy accidentally started the fire when he grabbed cans of homemade spices to deliver to a friend. The box containing the spices slid over the kitchen stove, catching the knobs that ignites the burners. According to Sammy, there were likely flammable items on the stove that caught fire.
Sammy was notified of the blaze through his alarm company and immediately returned home. He threw towels onto the stovetop to help smother the flames. Firefighters arrived at the scene soon after to extinguish the blaze. Continue Reading
Randy Houser points to damage suffered moments before in a bus fire. Photo courtesy of randyhouser.com.
By Joseph Hudak
© 2012 CMA Close Up® News Service / Country Music Association®, Inc.
Jerrod Niemann had just climbed aboard his tour bus after a March benefit show in Chattanooga, Tenn., for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital when his friend and fellow artist Lee Brice smelled something all too familiar — the acrid odor of a bus beginning to burn.
“It smelled like a heater kicking on,” recalled Niemann, who took Brice’s advice and stepped outside to investigate. “I turned the corner and there were flames coming out of this little vent in the back. They were maybe 10 inches long. I thought we could put it out with the fire extinguisher, but then all of a sudden the whole back end was on fire.”
Cell phone footage on YouTube captured the blaze, culminating with both the tires and windows exploding. “The windshield blew out with the blinds still stuck to it,” Niemann added. Continue Reading
Lee Brice photo courtesy of Curb Records.
Lee Brice and his band and crew escaped harm when their tour bus caught on fire outside Toby Keith’s Bar and Grill in the Phoenix suburb of Mesa on Saturday, reports KNXV-TV. Lee and a few others aboard the bus were asleep when the flames broke out.
Mesa firefighter Shaun Denman said crews worked quickly to keep the fire from spreading to the trailer hooked behind the bus. He says flames were “about as high as the roof of the building.”
“They were like, bus is on fire, we’re not kidding,” Lee said. “So we had to run off and within a couple of minutes it was in flames. The whole back of the lounge was apparently burned through.” Continue Reading
Trace Adkins photo courtesy of Show Dog-Universal Music.
Trace Adkins and his family have been staying in their weekend home, a farm near Nashville, since a fire destroyed their home in Brentwood, Tennessee. Following the fire, Trace was flooded with offers of help from friends and fans alike. While Trace appreciates the outpouring of good will, he has asked that offers of help be directed elsewhere.
“We are blessed and very fortunate,” Trace told the Patriot Ledger. “We are not destitute. There are people who aren’t as fortunate as we are who really need help. In light of all the tornadoes and the flooding in the South this year, we wanted to make sure that my fans directed their generosity that way. I’ve already accepted that I probably lost everything that was in that house. All that really matters, however, is that we have a place to stay and the kids are safe. I have a saying, ‘Get out of the problem, get into the solution,’ which I’ve always believed was the right thing to do.” Continue Reading
Cowboy Jack Clement, famed musician and producer, lost his Nashville home of 40 years in a fire Saturday morning, reports The Tennessean. Jack’s girlfriend, Aleene Jackson, and others escaped the home unharmed. Priceless music memorabilia and memories were lost in the fire.
One possession was saved from the fire, however. “I got my baby,” Cowboy Jack said of a Gibson J200 guitar he bought in 1951 while still in the Marines. The guitar was scratched by Elvis Presley’s belt buckle.
Cowboy Jack has been the producer behind such music as Jerry Lee Lewis’ “Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On” as well as sessions with Roy Orbison, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Charlie Rich. He developed the careers of Charley Pride and George Jones and stepped outside the country genre to produce three tracks for U2’s Rattle and Hum album and also produced an album for Louis Armstrong. Continue Reading
Photo courtesy of Universal South. Photo credit: Danny Clinch
When Randy Houser takes the stage in Isle of the Palms, South Carolina tonight, he will have nothing but his boots on – in a manner of speaking. Around 12:40 p.m. this afternoon, Randy’s crew noticed flames coming from the rear suite of his tour bus, sending thick, black smoke into the bus corridors and main cabin. Randy and his band and crew members were safely evacuated, but all of their gear, clothing and personal belongings were lost. Randy tweeted photos from the bus fire, including a picture to confirm that his boots had survived.
- Randy Houser’s boots survived the fire. Photo courtesy of twitter.com/randyhouser.
Craig Morgan photo courtesy of Sony Music Nashville.
Craig Morgan thought he was going to enjoy a quiet Sunday afternoon on Feb. 13. He’d just returned home to Dickson, Tenn. after being on the road for a while and was ready to relax. But when he noticed a nearby house on fire, he had no choice but to take action. Continue Reading